Welcome to Arts in Merkinch
Arts In Merkinch is a voluntary not-for-profit organisation operating in the Merkinch area of Inverness in the Highlands of Scotland. Our mission is to promote social, physical, emotional and economic health by developing skills and providing access to arts and cultural activity for local residents. We also promote Merkinch as a positive and vibrant cultural location in order to enhance the areas profile and increase the confidence of those living within it.
We manage two venues, in which much of our activity takes place. Activities within those venues or in partner and site specific locations are all directed to the following aims:
Our aims are:
- To enable equal participation in arts and cultural activity for all.
- To promote attendance at high quality arts and cultural events.
- To support established and emerging artists.
- To endeavour to overcome barriers to participation and attendance.
We will do this by:
- Developing regular participatory workshops including but not limited to art, craft, dance, film, media, music, theatre and writing.
- Supporting and providing opportunities for community groups to showcase their abilities and achievements. Provide access to space, time and other resources for the creation and production of art.
- Use arts and cultural activity to engage with current social issues.
- Promoting local groups to a wider audience.
- Developing audiences through active promotion.
- Creating opportunities for our community to access national and international arts and culture.
- Create a fun, enjoyable and safe environment to participate.
Arts In Merkinch is run by a board of directors. We hold our General Annual Meeting in Autumn of each year. If you would like to become a member of Arts In Merkinch you can join by completing an application form and returning it to Arts In Merkinch, 33 Grant Street, Inverness, IV3 8BN.
Our venues are The Clay Studio and The Bike Shed. The Clay Studio, as the name suggests is a home for all things clay related and The Bike Shed offers a huge range of participative and viewable art from across many genres, including dance, drama, song and visual arts.
For much more detailed information about The Bike Shed click on the logo below. The Clay Studio section of our website is under development and meantime, general Clay Studio information can be found in the News section (and sometimes special events section) of the Bike Shed pages.